Friday, April 09, 2010

Adventures in Pepper-slicing

A couple months ago, I sliced my thumb open on my Henckel knife. It's nearly 4 years old and had never been sharpened. The dulled edge slid off of the slippery edge of a rascally red bell pepper, into the soft pad of my first little piggy.

It bled and bled, and took over a week to heal.

Since then, instead of sharpening my knife like a normal person, I just cut everything with extreme caution. Peppers especially. And I eat a lot of peppers; my favorite food right now is a sandwich of hummus, peppers and mixed greens (yummmm). I think my prep time for most foods increased by 10% or so, due to the cautious chopping and slicing.

Today, I finally busted out my knife sharpener (a birthday gift from last year). Forty slices through the sharpener and about 3 minutes later, my knife was good as nearly-new! I made paper-thin slices of my peppers, and I know it can't be true, but I swear they tasted better having been cut by my newly-sharpened knife!

Which leads me to ask:

Why do I put off doing those small easy tasks that take minimal time and effort and dramatically improve my quality of life?

Do you do it too?




Also, totally unrelated: I like these pieces. The first piece hits the nail on the head; I could have written that exact piece, if I could put the proper words together in an eloquent way. Not that it is an indication of how I feel in my current relationship, but it rings true for life in general.

1 comment:

The Owl Archimedes said...

WRT the article abt race: Sometimes, I try to blow it off or laugh it off, but that's probably a terrible thing to do because it just perpetuates the myth. She hit it right on the nose (flat and round of course).

Sandwich sounds delicious. The other day, I tried cream cheese and jam with assorted vegetables. Why is cream cheese and jam so so delicious together??