Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Transformation

I was gone for 10 days. The day I left, it was 43 degrees and rainy. At the rest stop on the way to DC, my friends and I ran from the car to the shelter to avoid the damp wind. My fleece jacket went everywhere with me; socks were requisite. The trees were hunched and bare, and the grass was deadish brown. It was a long, cold winter with entirely too much snow.

So imagine my delight to find, when I finally ventured outside this afternoon, spring had painted COLOR everywhere in Pittsburgh! I had forgotten that the trees lining the side of the house bloomed tiny sprays of yellow flowers, and that the lawn was full of lush green grass. There are tiny daffodils along the front porch with their orange mouths wide open, singing to the sun. There are purple hyacinths lining the sidewalk, and pink and white magnolias in the trees above.

Soon there will be lilacs and peonies, and dahlias. Oh, dahlias! I love dahlias.

It's really actually honestly truly SPRING, and I love it! May happy colorful flowers be all around you, too.

1 comment:

The Owl Archimedes said...

i always forget how much i love flowers until the first bloom following every harsh winter. Utterly transforming.